San Antonio Wilderness Herbal First Responder Certification
04/11/2019 - 9:00 AM - 04/20/2019 - 5:00 PM| $700 – $850
The Wilderness Herbal First Responder is over 80 hours of Wilderness First Aid combined with remote and post-disaster herbalism. The WHFR also includes a 40-hour WFA certification card through the Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI), CPR certification, and a Wilderness First Responder certification through The Human Path.
This is the merging of the worlds of remote or post-disaster medicine (“ditch medicine”) with the world of herbalism and includes most of the herbal information and all (plus some) of the hands-on experience of the Herbal Medic Basic course. PLUS, this course includes all of the wilderness first responder curriculum that allows the student to be a competent first aid provider right from the get-go in the case of illness, injury or even chronic health issue.
FULL COURSE DESCRIPTION IS BELOW.
This course is geared toward a number of different types of students:
• The outdoor enthusiast, camp counselor, outdoor recreational employee who wants in-depth training on injury and illness management in the field.
• The camper, hiker or rock-climber who wants more much more intensive learning, geared toward outdoor environments, than a standard first aid course.
• The prepper (disaster preparedness) who wants to be self-sufficient medically and not even necessarily reliant on orthodox pharmaceuticals.
• The herbalist who wants higher intensity training across the board from wilderness first aid to herbal medicine in a remote environment.
• The emergency medicine professional who wants to expand his/her horizons into indefinite medical care that includes botanical medicines (field herbalism).
Course Dates: April 11-20th, 2019
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Lodging: Camping is provided free on campus to anyone registered in the course.
Tuition: $850/student, and includes 3 textbooks and certification cards.
Early bird pricing: $700 until 2/28/19.
Please be aware of the school tuition policy on our website before registering: https://herbalmedics.academy/about-us/tuition-policies/
*A discount is available for cash, check or money order tuition payments.
The full course includes all of the following skills:
- Extrication, movement and evacuation techniques in the field
- Primary and secondary assessment from head to toe
- Bandaging and splinting techniques from head to toe
- Taping and stabilizing musculoskeletal injuries for movement and weight bearing in the field
- Environmental injures (venomous bites & stings, heat, cold and altitude injuries, lightning, drowning & immersion)
- Land navigation skills
- Building first aid kits for a variety of scenarios
- Medicine making, herbal first aid and herbal first aid kits for a field environment
- Medicinal plant ID walks and field herbalism lectures
- Field and urban (post-disaster) hygiene and sanitation
- Sports medicine injury testing and care (short and long term): Dislocations, partial and complete connective tissue tears, fractures, scar tissue
- Immediate and long-term wound care in the field, including assessing and managing trauma from head to toe and wound & infection management
- Acute infectious diseases: Viral, bacterial, protozoal, helminthic & fungal. Gastrointestinal, respiratory, urinary tract, skin.
- Stabilizing, packaging and transporting injured, including long-range evacuation and survival basics and considerations: improvised stretchers, carries, water rescue
- Using rope, webbing, knots and lashings
- Chronic illnesses in the field, including diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular-related illness, arthritis, digestive issues, depression, emotional issues, COPD
- Medical emergencies
- Shock and pain management
- Client history and vital signs, long term management
- Introduction to basic survival skills
- Trauma scenarios
- Post-disaster or remote clinic (trauma, dispatch, command and control center) and apothecary setup
- Clinical experience: Setting up and working in a remote or post-disaster herbal clinic with actual clients
- Setting up and running a first aid clinic (remote events, protests, etc.)
- Three books
- Three certification cards:
- 80-hour WFR card (for those completing and passing the full course)
- ECSI Advanced 40-hour WFA card (for those completing the full course)
- CPR certification
- WHFR certificate (92 hour)