Austere Medicine – Trauma
This is a 12-week long online course. You can take this anywhere you have an internet connection. You do not have to be present in our area to take the course! Registration closes on June 17th, 2019.
The online portion consists of 12 weeks of lectures that take the student through both orthodox and herbal medicine in a remote or post-disaster environment where care may include wilderness first aid, emergency medicine, minor surgery, post-operative surgical care, wound and infection management and more. The medical focus of this course is “doing more with less.” The online portion can be taken separately if desired.
The online lectures and material include:
- Anatomy and Physiology – Trauma-related anatomy and physiology of the head, torso, pelvis and extremities
- Cellular homeostasis
- Fluid balance and resuscitation
- Blood loss, blood salvage & resuscitation
- Surgical wound & hemostasis management
- Surgical and emergency medicine gear in austere environments
- Pharmaceuticals for austere and post-disaster environments
- Introduction to herbal medicine
- Herbal medicine making
- Herbal materia medica for austere environments
- Wound healing and infection management using herbal medicine
- Live Q & A with Steve Pehrson and Sam Coffman
- Scenario round table discussions from previous year’s on-site intensives (audio)
- Clinic planning, setup and management in post-disaster and austere environments
Dates: May 13th – July 29th, 2019.
Registration will remain open until June 17th, 2019.
Midterm break is the week of June 17th, class resumes the following week.
Final week of class is that of July 29th.
Testing will open on August 5th, 2019 and remain open until August 31st.
A passing grade of 70% is required to attend the Austere Medicine: Trauma 5-day on-site in October.
Location: This is an online course. You can take this class anywhere you have an internet connection.
The 12-week online course is required to be completed with a passing grade to attend the 5-day Austere Medicine on-site course, as well as the 16-hour WFA (or its equivalent)
Wilderness First Aid Certification: 10/18/19 – 10/20/19.
For information about paying with cash, checks, or money orders, just send us an email here:
You can review our tuition policies here: https://herbalmedics.academy/about-us/tuition-policies/