The Austere Medicine program is an introduction to the most vital aspects of medicine in a post-disaster or austere environment and integrates western emergency medicine, sports medicine, wilderness first aid and botanical (herbal) medicine. This is a five-day intensive course held at our San Antonio campus, preceded by a required 12-week online course and 3-day WFA. This austere medicine intensive course is taught by Dr. Steve Pehrson, M.D., and Sam Coffman.
The on-campus portion of the Austere Medicine I program runs for five information- and action-packed days.
This intensive course starts by putting hands-on practice at the forefront wherever possible. Taking the online, didactic information to the next level and introducing physical techniques is the primary goal.
The on-site lectures and hands-on practice include:
- Minor Surgery (e.g. suturing techniques, vascular and connective tissue repair, wound debridement)
- Local anesthesia
- Infection management
- Blood replacement techniques
- Gunshot & complex wound management
- Musculoskeletal exams
- Dislocation reduction (shoulder, elbow, finger, hip)
- Herbal preparations (tinctures, poultices, plasters, washes, oils, honey, prickly pear)
- Plant ID, harvesting and use
- Charcoal preparation & use
- Autoclave methods
- Clinic and trauma bay setup and management
- Scenarios & round table discussions through long-term care
Certifications: Austere Medicine: Trauma. *must also complete and pass the online course and 3-day WFA certification to complete this course.
Dates: October 21 – 25th, 2019.
Pre-requisites: 3-day WFA certification (or its equivalent)
Completion of the online 12-week Austere Medicine: Trauma online course with a passing grade.
Lodging: Camping is free to any enrolled student, at our 50-acre campus. There are also hotels within a 10-minute drive of the campus in the 78260 zip code.
Wilderness First Aid Certification: 10/18/19 – 10/20/19.
For information about paying with cash, checks, or money orders, just send us an email here:
You can review our tuition policies here: https://thehumanpath.net/about/payment-policies/