The Apothecarist Program is an 18-month intensive study program (both online and on-site) that explores the processes of making herbal products as a profession. Students can complete the program in the Accelerated Track in nine months.
In addition to the history of the apothecary trade, students will get extensive training in the making of both internal and external herbal preparations as well as important product regulation information every practicing apothecarist should know.
The program is divided into (2) interactive online sections and a total of (6) advanced intensives.
The first online course begins in September, and covers a wide range of topics that include:
- intermediate tincturing processes — refining and perfecting taste
- advanced medicinal formulary work
- working with fermentation and herbs
- GMP regulations and protocol
- apothecary food safety for internal preparations
- therapeutic tonics, honeys, vinegars and more
- Wildcrafting documentation and local sourcing
- How to set up an apothecary
- flavor and syrups and shrubs
- labeling, trademark and product plagiarism
- 12 classes packed full of hands-on medicine making or instruction
Classes are interactive, and students work with an herbal packet that is shipped to them. All Sunday night classes are live, but are recorded for students who may need to miss a class. The pre-requisite for this course is either Herbal Medicine for Beginners online course, or an equivilent foundation herbal medicine course from an approved school.