The Apothecarist: Food As Medicine – 2020
01/31/2020 - 9:00 AM - 02/02/2020 - 12:30 PM| $320
ON-SITE INTENSIVE: INTERNAL PREPARATIONS
This is a 3-day on-site intensive for students to have even greater depth of training in certain specialty areas. These are designed for apothecarists that would like to create a product line or specialize in a certain area of herbal preparations.
Food As Medicine:
This is very different than any cooking or any herbal medicine class you’ll find, as it is a marriage of both! Over 3 days, this course will cover everything you’ll need to feel comfortable working in a brand-new way using food as your medicinal tool!
Setting up a safe kitchen at home or in the field. Basic food safety.
Move towards Better; Meet people where they are–including yourself. Food is part of a system for balance, by nourishing the body with nutrient dense foods and eliminating harmful foods, we put the body in a position to better assimilate everything we put into it, from food to medicines.
- Making Sense of Food Systems: Ayerveda, TCM, Blue Zones, “Traditional” foods (Weston A. Price)
- Western Pattern Diet: Define; Why is it a Problem?
- Food Ethics: Why is this important to consider? Watch Chef’s Table, Episode 2 if possible
- Culinary Materia Medica: Herbs commonly used in the kitchen and what they do for the body.
- Healing Recipes: Yogurt rice; “I’m Sick” tea, condiments, beverages, etc.
- Learn to Cook: (Re)Educating the Palette
Step 1: Easy Substitutions
Step 2: Introduce fermented foods
Step 3: Condiments–lower intake of salt (and processed salt) and sugar.
– increase flavor and nutrients
Step 4: Beverages: Tea, infused waters, fermented beverages
Step 5: Nutrient Dense foods: stock/broth, sea vegetables, Fungi, wild foods, whole animal eating (organ meats and connective tissues)
- Hands on Activities: Healing Fermentation
- Seasonings and condiments
- Making therapeutic stocks
- Tastings of medicinal foods!
This 3-day course is part of the Apothecarist program but is open to the public for enrollment.
Dates: January 31st – February 2nd, 2020.
The schedule is as follows:
Friday: 9am – 5pm.
Saturday: 9am – 5pm.
Sunday: 9am – 1pm.
Lodging: Camping is free to any enrolled student, at our 50-acre campus. There are also hotels within a 10-minute drive of the campus in the 78260 zip code.
Location: Detailed directions will be emailed to all enrolled students prior to the class.
For a cash discount, we accept checks and money orders. For information, just send us an email here:
We look forward to seeing you in class! You can review our tuition policies here: https://herbalmedics.academy/about-us/tuition-policies/