The Apothecarist: Food as Medicine – 2019
September 6 - 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM| $320
ON-SITE INTENSIVE: INTERNAL PREPARATIONS
This is a 3-day on-site intensive for students to have even greater depth of training in certain specialty areas. These are designed for apothecarists that would like to create a product line or specialize in a certain area of herbal preparations.
Food As Medicine:
This is very different than any cooking or any herbal medicine class you’ll find, as it is a marriage of both! Over 3 days, this course will cover everything you’ll need to feel comfortable working in a brand-new way using food as your medicinal tool!
- Setting up a safe kitchen at home or in the field. Basic food safety.
- Move towards Better; Meet people where they are–including yourself. Food is part of a system for balance, by nourishing the body with nutrient dense foods and eliminating harmful foods, we put the body in a position to better assimilate everything we put into it, from food to medicines.
- Making Sense of Food Systems: Ayerveda, TCM, Blue Zones, “Traditional” foods (Weston A. Price)
- Western Pattern Diet: Define; Why is it a Problem?
- Food Ethics: Why is this important to consider? Watch Chef’s Table, Episode 2 if possible
- Culinary Materia Medica: Herbs commonly used in the kitchen and what they do for the body.
- Healing Recipes: Yogurt rice; “I’m Sick” tea, condiments, beverages, etc.
- Learn to Cook: (Re)Educating the Palette
- Hands on Activities: Healing Fermentation
- Seasonings and condiments
- Making therapeutic stocks
- Tastings of medicinal foods!
This 3-day course is part of the Apothecarist program but is open to the public for enrollment.
Dates: February 1 – 3rd, 2019.
Tuition: Tuition for this 3 day workshop is $320, with the option to pay a $160 deposit and the balance ($160) separately.
We look forward to seeing you in class! You can review our tuition policies here: http://www.herbalmedics.university/about-us/tuition-policies/