Understanding Herbal Constituents & Plant Chemistry is now available in ten online modules. Each module is three weeks long and can be taken independently one at a time, or as the full program.
Terpenoids 2: Diterpenes, Triterpenes, Triterpenoids & Steroidal Saponins, Plant Steroids, Cardiac Glycosides, Tetraterpenes (Carotenoids)
This is the second of two modules on the terpenoids, which includes the structures, occurrence & physiological activities of the diterpenes, triterpenes, oleoresins & terpenoid resins, triterpenoid saponins, steroidal saponins, phytosterols and other botanical steroids, the cardiac glycosides, and the tetraterpenoids (carotenoids).
Module 9 Details:
- Structures, activities & occurrence of the diterpenes (e.g., in coniferous oleoresins, Grindelia, Marrubium
- Toxic diterpenes in Kalmia & Rhododendron spp.
- Specialized diterpenes (terpene trilactones) in Ginkgo biloba
- Structures, activities & occurrence of the triterpenes
- Triterpenes as resinous constituents
- Specialized triterpene glycosides in Black Cohosh (Actaea racemosa)
- Structures, activities & occurrence of triterpenoids (oleanolic, ursolic & betulinic acids) in herbs
- Unique triterpenoids in Reishi (Ganoderma) mushrooms & their activities
- General characteristics of the saponins
- Saponins in Phytolacca (Poke) berries – activity, toxicology
- Saponins in herbs for arthralgia
- Structure, activity, safety of saponins in Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Saponins in Wild Yam & Mexican Yam (Dioscorea spp.) & their relation to human hormones
- Phytosterols & other steroidal compounds in botanicals
- Structure, occurrence, toxicology of the steroidal cardiac glycosides
- Structure, occurrence, activity & antioxidant power of the tetraterpenes (carotenoids)
This three week module includes:
- Two 2-hour recorded webinars with Lisa Ganora
- One live Q & A session with Lisa Ganora
- Five videos (from live classes)
- Two PowerPoint presentations
- Five detailed study guides
- Two quizzes
- Two assignments
- Access to live Office Hours & Discussion Forum
This is a 3-week course. Course materials will be released on September 6th, and each module will have 2 live interactive study sessions with the instructor, Lisa Ganora, in addition to student open office hours sessions.