Guerrilla Foraging and Field Medicine Making
May 5 - 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM| $40 – $60
Whether you are on a long camping trip, a remote location without your usual pantry items at hand, or even in a post disaster situation; learning to ethically wildcraft and forage what you need for medicine and wild foods is an important skill set while on the move. This one-day class will include a field plant walk, some ethical wildcrafting, and then an exercise in preserving and working with harvested medicinals in a field environment.
Students will learn:
- How to ethically wildcraft
- What does being a steward of the land mean?
- When should you not harvest or forage?
- How to safely identify spring edibles
- Good South Texas field guides to use
- Preservation in the field
- What is guerrilla foraging and why would a lower profile be important?
- Foraging tools to have in your pack
- Simple medicinal preparations in the field
- Harvesting after an environmental disaster – cautions and concerns
- How to keep your medicine mobile
At the end of this information-packed class, students will go home with several harvested and prepared medicinals, handouts of wild edible recipes and a mini field guide of plants to watch for in urban and remote environments in our area. You will also go home with a mobile harvesting kit to keep in your daypack.
This course will be offered 3 times a year – one for each growing season and focusing on bio-regional medicinals and edibles in season. This is a requirement for the Female Medic program.
Date: Sunday May 5, 2019. 9 to 4 pm
Location: THP campus, exact details will be released shortly.
What to bring: 2 glass pint sized Mason jars with lids, 16 oz. of grain alcohol, day-pack, hand-held clippers, hori blade if you have one, water, snacks, a sack lunch and outdoor clothing and hat for the field harvesting walk.
TUITION: $60, no pre-requisite, open to everyone.
For students who have completed the WFA: $50
For Herbal Medics chapter members: $40
*just send us an email if you have completed a WFA or WHFR with our school, or if you are a member of one of our Herbal Medic chapters!