Late Summer Guerilla Foraging and Field Medicine Making
September 7 - 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM| $60
Whether you are on a long camping trip, a remote location without your usual pantry items at hand, or even in a post disaster situation; learning to ethically wildcraft and forage what you need for medicine and wild foods is an important skill set while on the move. This one-day class will include a field plant walk, some ethical wildcrafting, and then an exercise in preserving and working with harvested medicinals in a field environment for late summer months.
Students will learn:
- Working with seasonally available plants
- How to ethically wildcraft
- What does being a steward of the land mean?
- When should you not harvest or forage?
- How to safely identify summer edibles
- Good S. Texas field guides to use
- Preservation in the field
- What is guerrilla foraging and why would a lower profile be important?
- Foraging tools to have in your pack
- Simple medicinal preparations in the field
- Harvesting after an environmental disaster – cautions and concerns
- How to keep your medicine mobile
At the end of this information-packed class, students will go home with several harvested and prepared medicinals, handouts of wild edible recipes and a mini field guide of plants to watch for in urban and remote environments in our area. You will also go home with a mobile harvesting kit to keep in your daypack.
This course will be offered 3 times a year – one for each growing season and focusing on bio-regional medicinals and edibles in season. This is a requirement for the Medic and Female Medic programs.
Date: September 7th, 2019.
Location: THP campus
** Detailed directions will be emailed out to all enrolled students prior to the class **
WHAT TO BRING: 2 glass pint sized Mason jars with lids, 16 oz. of grain alcohol, day-pack, hand-held clippers, hori blade if you have one, water, snacks, a sack lunch and outdoor clothing and hat for the field harvesting walk.
For information about paying with cash, checks, or money orders, just send us an email here:
You can review our tuition policies here: https://herbalmedics.academy/about-us/tuition-policies/