Austere Medicine 1 – Intensive Course 2018
11/07/2018 - 9:00 AM - 11/11/2018 - 4:00 PM| $635 – $795
The Austere Medicine program is an introduction to the most vital aspects of medicine in a post-disaster or austere environment and integrates western emergency medicine, sports medicine, wilderness first aid and botanical (herbal) medicine. The course begins with over 30 hours of Online material (available 60 days before the on-campus portion) that is REQUIRED PREPARATORY material for all students. This course is taught by Dr. Steve Pehrson, M.D., and Sam Coffman.
The on-campus portion of the Austere Medicine I program runs for 5 information and action-packed days and picks up where the online portion leaves off.
These 5 days start by putting hands-on practice at the forefront wherever possible. Taking the online, didactic information to the next level and introducing physical techniques is the primary goal. Subjects during the on-campus, 5-day intensive include:
- Minor Surgery (e.g. suturing techniques, vascular and connective tissue repair, wound debridement, much more)
- Local anesthesia
- Field autoclave methods
- IV and IO placement, blood replacement techniques
- Complex wound management
- Chest injuries and surgical management
- Abdominal injuries
- Cardiac injuries
- Airway management
- Musculoskeletal exams, taping and stabilization methods
- Botanical medicine making in the field
- Wound and infection management with botanical medicine
- Wilderness First Aid
- Acute infectious disease management with botanical medicine
- Chronic illness & botanical medicine when pharmaceutical medicine is not available
- Trauma care and clinic setup and management
- Tactical and security considerations
- Putting it all together: Scenario-based training
Certifications: ECSI Advanced Wilderness First Aid
Dates: November 7 – 11th, 2018.
Tuition: Early Bird Tuition is available for $635 until August 15th, 2018.
Regular Tuition is $795.
For cash discount tuition pricing or to bundle several austere medicine courses together, please contact us via email: