Join Dr. Steve Pehrson and Sam Coffman for our Austere Acute Care (AAC) hands-on intensive at our 50-acre campus near San Antonio, TX. Both Steve and Sam started their respective journeys into medicine as U.S. Army Special Forces Medics. Steve went on to become an emergency medicine and family practice doctor in rural Utah, while Sam became a clinical herbalist and wilderness medicine instructor. Together, they teach a unique approach to medical issues in austere, remote or post-disaster environments that integrates the worlds of orthodox & wilderness medicine with clinical herbalism.
Our October, 2020, on-site 5-day intensive is open to everyone who has passed the online, 12-week acute austere medicine course starting May, 2020.
This year’s AAC on-site training includes 5 days of highly-interactive, hands-on experience to teach you the orthodox and herbal medical skills crucial for acute care in the field. Subjects taught this year include:
- Head to toe general physical exam
- Musculoskeletal tests for joint, soft-tissue and bone injury
- Head, eyes, ears, nose, throat exams – using otoscope, ophthalmoscope
- Respiratory and cardiac exams – using stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, pulse oximeter, understanding vital signs, laryngoscopy
- Understanding and using common tests: urine dipstick, blood glucose
- Minor surgery techniques: Ingrown nails, abscesses, lipomas, cysts (differentiation and treatment), myringotomy, peritonsilar abscess
- Pharmaceutical protocols: infection & inflammation
- “Red Flag” tests and differential diagnoses that need urgent or immediate care
- Treatment (reduction) of joint dislocations (digit, shoulder, hip, patella, elbow)
- Understanding indications and use of tape and casting products (shoulders, wrists and hands, ribs, knees, feet & ankles, digits) for musculoskeletal and wound injuries: Cast tapes, K-tape, sports tape, P-tape, Coban, Surgical tapes, Elastikon, etc.
- Setting up and running an austere herbal and orthodox, austere health care clinic, with a live scenario (involving real clients with real health care issues.
Botanical medicine lectures and hands-on practice with:
- Inflammation and injury
- Acute pain management
- Herbal poulticing, plasters, prepared bandages
- Preparation and logistics of medicine making for austere herbal medicine
- Respiratory formula making for acute care
- Gastrointestinal formula making for acute care
- Urinary tract formula making for acute care
- Fungal infections (skin and nails)
- Acute infectious disease of eyes, ears, nose, sinus, throat, mouth
- Advanced herbal medicine making and administration techniques including a variety of solvents and temperature: DMSO, Isopropyl alcohol, Ethyl Alcohol, Water, glycerin, honey
- Plant walks & wildcrafting medicine for the austere clinic